Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Royals... A love story?

I’m not going to lie – I love me some Royals. I don’t follow too closely – but hook me up with a Royal Wedding and I am waking up at 4:00 am and watching all day coverage like it’s the Superbowl.

I watched Diana get married. I watched her get buried. I watched when she introduced the world to Wills and I will watch him marry his commoner bride and make her a princess and the future Queen of England.

Now I know everything that went down with Charles and Diana. Completely tragic. He’s in love with someone else. She can’t handle it (and why should she) they divorce and she dies. No happy ending there.

But here is my claim… Kate Middleton must love Prince William a whole heck of a lot! I watched a TMC mini-documentary of their courtship, relationship and soon to be wedding and was floored by the depth of feeling this girl must feel for him.

Now some will say… “She’s marrying a prince. She’s going to be a queen. How great it is that?”

I would say – who wants it! Hear me out. Let’s start with the fact –she’s already rich. Her family has all the money they need. Materially while she’ll be exposed to even bigger, better, more… it can’t be all that different from her current lifestyle.

Then comes the baggage. Watching your relationship play out in tabloids. Being followed 24/7 by paparazzi. They called her “Waity Katey”. They said she finally “landed” her prince. Like he was the prize to be one instead of her. I really bristled at that.

Now I don’t know what’s in this girl’s head of course – but here is what I do know. She’s rich. She’s beautiful. As princess or queen –she’ll have no real power. Yes, she can serve as a spokesperson for charities and causes she feels deeply about – but she could have done that as a citizen and again as a person of wealth still had a lot of impact.

Here is what she has to put up with. Constant scrutiny. Royal expectations. Rumors, gossip and innuendo which will be splattered across every paper in England. Her marriage, her happiness, William’s happiness will constantly be questioned. When/if she becomes pregnant will be a national event!

But the worst, the all time worst, is that she will be held up near daily to one of those most Iconic Woman of All Time. I mean seriously… Diana walks into a room would you want to be the one to follow her?

Her wedding day will be watched by 2 billion people! Two billion people will tune in to watch her walk down the aisle, say her vows and will comment on her dress, hair, shoes everything. She will be there to essentially perform for the people. Because in reality it’s their day. The people’s day.

My day… with morning mimosas… because I want to see her a girl become a real live princess.

I watched this documentary and thought how in fiction - great romances have to overcome great obstacles. It makes the relationshiop that much stronger and more meaningful. To me the title of “Prince of Whales” is just about the greatest obstacle ever. Talk about raising the stakes.

I hope I’m right. I hope she really loves him. Because I think it would take all the love in the world for a modern marriage with this kind of pressure to work. If it does then it would be a truly happy ever after.

So good luck Kate Middleton – my new favorite heroine… Don’t trip!

5 comments:

Eileen said...

Steph, I'm not sure how you could get any more adorable. I generally couldn't care less about the royals and never understood the big fuss over Diana. After reading your post, though, I'm rooting like crazy for Kate! Let's hear it for love, whether it be royal or common or some fabulous crazy mixture of both!!

Anonymous said...

I'm with Eileen on this, but your post made me want to wake up early to watch the wedding...

Maureen McGowan said...

I'm more in Stephanie's camp on this one. I don't know why I care, but I do. I watched Diana get married and buried, too.

I haven't been following this in detail, but I am rooting for them because they seem like a genuine couple (vs a totally inappropriate set up between a somewhat icky 30 year old in love with someone else, and a virginal, teenaged Lady hand picked for him) and will likely be up at 4:00 am to watch.

Hey, unless something drastically changes, Kate be Queen of Canada someday. And their first official trip after they get married is to come here. They're going to be in Ottawa for Canada Day. (Of course, I'll be in NYC for the RWA conference at the time...)

Molly O'Keefe said...

Steph - I think you have a pragmatic north American's view of being the princess - who in the world would want that kind of trouble. And I imagine there are plenty of wealthy British (and all around the world) women gnashing thier teeth right now. But I hope it's real love, it seems unlikely to me.

Clearly, my romance loving heart has been turned to coal by my efforts to avoid cheese.

Maureen McGowan said...

I know which option all of you (except maybe Steph) would choose in Cinderella: Ninja Warrior when she's asked whether or not she wants to go to the ball and possibly meet the prince. ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...