Friday, November 13, 2009

Better Late than never?

Seems to be my motto these days. But I’m finally getting a few precious moments in front of the computer. It’s been a year since I’ve submitted a book to editors and agents, and because it’s been so long since someone said ‘hell no’ to my work, I’m feeling pretty positive these days.

I’m getting ready to submit, so I imagine that feeling will disappear very shortly, but I’m enjoying it while it lasts. Because as writers, don’t we need our feel good moments?

I’m getting mine these days from Glee. The show is the polar opposite of Mad Men, and yet I’m loving both. Where Mad Men is subtle and ambiguous in all the best ways, Glee is loud and joyful and has the subtlety of an elephant belly-flopping into a kids pool. But sometimes the combination of singing and bad boys and some nice unexpected reversals are exactly what we need.

Every week I start Glee with a mild tension, thinking, this will be the week they ruin my good will, because seriously, how far can they take this. And this week, I was completely charmed by Puck, and how they made the bad boy endearingly sweet, and still a bad boy, (weed cupcakes, need I say more). I love, love, love where they are taking the relationship between Kurt and his father, and how they’ve managed to avoid the most obvious clichés and ground the relationship between two very different people in their mutual love for each other.

And Sue, who is a little one note, but a really funny character and the writers are adding a nice humanity to her as well. After this week, I have faith that the Glee writers will continue to charm me, and given the absence of mad men in my life, I’m looking forward to whatever comes next.

5 comments:

Maureen McGowan said...

I loved this episode, too. I was starting to get worried a few episodes back... but they won me over again this week, too.

LOL on the elephant belly-flopping into a kids pool. You should be a writer ;-)

Molly O'Keefe said...

I feel teh same way about Glee. Ever since the THong SOng episode I've been wary - but the last episode was perfect. Perfect. Every note hit just right. Kurt and the actor that plays him - he's AMAZING.So vulnerable - he just seems to tremble. I love him.

Eileen said...

I've only seen a few episodes, but one of them was the one with Kurt on the football team. The moment at the end with his father actually had me a little misty-eyed.

The non-pregnant wife, however? She makes me grind my teeth.

Anonymous said...

I hate the pregnant wife storyline as well. The last few episodes have been so strong, because she hasn't been as much a part of it.

Stephanie Doyle said...

I'm a Glee lover too. It's one of those shows that I thought... no way... but then it just keeps getting smarter and smarter. I kept coming back until finally it made it on to my DVR.

The only sour note - the non-pregnant wife.

And the relationship with Kurt and his father... awesome.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...