Sunday, May 25, 2008

Shopping List

Toys R Us is taking back everyone's poisonous plastic baby bottles and giving store credit in return. It doesn't matter if the bottles were bought at Toys R Us or if they're used - bring them in and you'll get some Toys R Us cash to spend. We ended up with sixty bucks. Yesterday we decided to make an event of it - we haven't bought our son much of anything by way of toys (we have generous parents) so we decided if we went $40 over the 60 - we're laughing. Well, we went $80 over and we were still laughing. But, let it be said - Mick's favorite things are the eight dollar matchbox cars and husband's favorite thing is the remote control dinosaur.


Lesson learned: you can take your kid to the toy store -- not your husband.


Anyway - in keeping with this sudden we must be rich attitude - I decided to go on line and get myself a bunch of books. It's summer - vacations are coming up and I need some good reading. Here is what I got:

Untouchable by Stephanie Doyle - this is a part of the Athena Force series and while I haven't read the series (and probably should - it's very Marjorie M. Liu-ish) I read everything Stephanie Doyle writes. Stephanie was given the job of writing a heroine with poisonous skin - awesome.

The New Elizabeth Hoyt historical -- Her last series was incredible. Looking forward to how she handles herself now that she's a big star.

Silent in The Sanctuary -- Silent In The Grave was one of my favorite books last year. A fantastic blend of historical mystery with a truly tense and intriguing romantic subplot. A great heroine.

The New JR Ward - June 3rd is coming soon!

Driving Sideways - because who doesn't need more sicklit in thier lives.

Irresistible by Susan Mallery -- Susan is one of the few writers out there doing straight up contemporary romance and this book landed on the NYT list. She's a heavy hitter in category romance and I figure it's time to see how people are breaking out of category without serial killers or vampires. Looking forward to this book!

Delicious by Sherry Thomas - Maureen, who does not usually rave about romance novels, will not shut up about this book. It's like Battlestar all over again.

The backlist of the Six Degrees of Sexy girls - Amy Ruttan, Christine D'Abo and Wylie Kinson. Three of the nicest, most supportive writers ever. I look forward to their hot e-books and not just because my life is devoid of heat these days -- well, actually, that is a big chunk of the reason.

Chabon's Yiddish Policemen book, Alice Hoffman's Angel book - that is seriously lighting the world on fire and a little Dr. Suess for the boy. My son, not my husband.

What am I missing? What does my summer reading list need to be complete?

13 comments:

Amy Ruttan said...

Awww, I'm blushing. Really.

As for a reading list ... The Duke of Shadows by Meredith Duran. Her debut novel was phenomenal and so different from any historical I read.

I hope this is the directions historicals are taking. :)

Molly O'Keefe said...

Excellent Amy -- I've added it to the list!!!

Anonymous said...

Me too... I've heard some serious buzz about that book.

I have to get my butt to a chapters and soon..

I'm falling behind. Great list. Although you forgot the new Emily Giffin book...

Molly O'Keefe said...

You know - Emily didn't make my list. I like her - don't love her.Oh! Eve Kenin's next one -- that's on my list too!

Maureen McGowan said...

That's a great list... Delicious doesn't come out until August, does it? (I've been reading Private Arrangements -- almost done, still raving.)

I've been trying to decide about the new Emily Giffin. You know I love her... But can't decide if I want to fork out the hardcover price. Wonder if she'll be in San Fran so I can get a signed one, instead? Probably not...

Very curious about the new Jessica Andersen series, too...

Molly O'Keefe said...

Another excellent addition Maureen - Delicious doesn't come out until later - it's on preorder. This is seriously the only way to shop for books when your brain is like swiss cheese. I swear I go into a bookstore and completely forget what I wanted to buy and end up walking out with books I didn't really want.

Keep those ideas coming...

Amy Ruttan said...

OH! Michelle's Shomi comes out this summer, Countdown, I want to read that one as well.

There's just so many books, so little time, and SOMEONE keeps writing freaking awesome Super Romances that keep getting bumped up in the TBR. LOL!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Molly,

Thanks for the plug! :)

I finally took your advice - why do I even resist - why? - and read Liu. Awesome. I've steered away from the paranormal because I was so inundated with it. But she rocks. I'll be going back for more.

Also took a chance on Kresley Cole. She's another paranormal writer w/ a lot of buzz. She's lucky a funny less serious J.R Ward. Very enjoyable. I'll be going back for more of hers.

And now I've added a few to my list.

Steph

Molly O'Keefe said...

That's right Amy - Michelle Rowen's Shomi - excellent addition. She's doing those under a different name, isn't she?

Steph! Always happy to plug great books and Untouchable was great. And I've heard good things about Kresley Cole - I just haven't taken the plunge. Perhaps now is the time.

Amy Ruttan said...

I think it's Michelle Maddox.

I've read Kresley Cole too, and I have to agree with Stephanie, very enjoyable. :)

Anonymous said...

I just found this blog and I'm smitten. Guinness and Smithwick's in your header? You must be the coolest of ladies. A blacksmith is my favorite drink!

And I've enjoyed what I've read so far. I'll definitely be back.

And for what I'd add to the list? Hope Tarr's Vanquished, and her latest, Untamed. I like the spicy stuff. :)

M. said...

interesting list.

my dual current reads (i always have two going on or i get bored) are 'grimspace' by ann aguirre and 'duke of shadows' by meredith duran - and both are absolutely gripping

i have few authors on my autobuy list, but loretta chase is one, so i would have snapped up her new one even if it weren't set in my beloved italy

Maureen McGowan said...

Hey, Dianewb!

Thanks for stopping by!

Yes, the three of us definitely bonded over our love for discussion writing/TV/movies over a pint or two.

Your welcome to stop by for a drink and chat any time. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...